Amman, Jordan. Coldplay performed there at its ancient Citadel to premiere their new album “Everyday Life” – streamed live via YouTube. And also the albums artwork incorporates arabic elements and design. Here are a few things worth to know about the capital of Jordan.
1. Jordan is located between Israel, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Syria – in Western Asia, on the East Bank of the Jordan River. Around ten and a half million people live in the country – around four million of them in the capital Amman.
2. Amman’s nicknames are “The White Pigeon” and “The City of Stairs”. Amman is located on various hills.
3. British band Coldplay has performed its album “Everyday Life” in Amman on November 22, 2019. The band arrived in the city a few days earlier to rehearse in a theatre. On the band’s social media channels various photos and videos of the band’s time in Jordan were presented. On November 23, the band showed up for a public concert at the Citadel – open for locals.
4. A municipal act in Amman says that houses in the city have to be faced by local stones.
5. Amman got its name from the 13th century BC: Back then the Ammonites named it “Rabbath Ammon” – the term Rabbath means the “Capital” or the “King’s Quarters”.
6. May 25th is Jordan’s Independence Day, a public holiday. On 25 May 1946, Transjordan became a kingdom named the Hashemite Kingdom of Transjordan – later shortened to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
7. The people of Amman are known for their hospitality. Around two million people visit the city per year.